Chief Risk Officer
CurrencyFair is a global cross-border payments platform which allows individuals and SMEs to manage their international payments through a digital self-service account, with offices in Ireland, UK, Hong-Kong, Singapore & Australia. We recently announced our merger with Assembly Payments, one of the fastest growing FinTechs with a presence in Australia, Singapore, the Philippines and the US, helping business customers build automated payment workflows & payment gateways through APIs, pushing the boundaries of what’s possible & reducing the complexity of running a business.
Our combined structure of 170 people now plans to expand our presence across APAC, Europe, the Middle East, and the US. We are therefore looking for skilled, motivated & passionate people who want to be part of the next generation of global payments.
As a member of the Leadership Team, the CRO will have responsibility and oversight of the Corporate Governance policies and structures for the business. The role will lead and be accountable for all group initiatives for compliance, risk, financial crime and legal.
In addition to reporting to the CEO, the CRO will have a dotted responsibility line to the Risk sub-committee of the board overseeing Audit, Risk and Compliance matters.
The role oversees individual, yet intertwined, functions with the detailed expectations and duties of each element outlined below.
Oversee and manage the regulatory compliance framework for the Company, enabling the efficient and effective governance of the company:
- Lead, design, and implement the licensing strategy, to support the Group’s new markets expansion
- Liaise with regulators for licensing and regulatory matters, maintaining an effective and open relationship with the regulators and managing all regulatory inquiries and reviews, including reporting and notification matters
- Design and ensure sufficient compliance structure and resources globally to ensure compliance with local regulatory requirements / expectation, and support business growth and expansion in existing and new markets
- Develop and formulate Group Compliance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable law and ensure effective implementation of the program across the Company
- Proactively work and cooperate with all other functions and key stakeholders to ensure that the Group’s objectives are achieved, and regulatory compliance risks are mitigated
- Conduct regulatory research, track new or revised regulations and implement internal policies, procedures and processes to ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Advise and support the business on all compliance matters and ensure the business is in alignment with license requirements globally, and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Conduct assessments and reviews on the adequacy and relevance of regulatory and compliance strategies, policies and frameworks, and oversee enhancements to address control deficiencies
- Conduct investigations into potential non-compliance incidents
- Implement and conduct regular compliance training programs on an ongoing basis to educate staff on the relevant regulatory developments, compliance policies and procedures
- Timely and proactively escalate issues resulting from compliance monitoring, resolution tracking and periodic management/board reporting on compliance risks
Develop and maintain a risk Management Framework, build, and promote a healthy business risk culture and own constant challenge of culture and processes to ensure the business operates inside the Framework:
- Lead and oversee the periodic group enterprise risk assessment exercise, and formulation of the group risk appetite statement
- Owning, maintaining, and implementing the Risk Management Framework which covers end-to-end risk identification, assessment, monitoring, reporting and assurance
- Establishing, maintaining and/or implementing risk strategies, policies, processes, guidelines, performance metrics and monitoring systems to detect and prevent potential abuse and vulnerabilities
- Embed Top Risks in metrics and ensure those risks are managed within the business
- Provide practical implementation guidance to enable Risk staff to implement policies and procedures in an effective manner
- Embed a culture of effective Risk Management within the day-to-day operation of the business
- Monitoring to ensure business activities and operations (and going forward global entities within the group) are operating within acceptable risk tolerance
- Deliver ‘effective governance’; capability to educate and challenge colleagues effectively; and willingness to work in an open and cooperative manner with all
Oversee and identify the legal issues across the Company and provide appropriate legal support:
- Provide direction on major legal and regulatory issues, and work to minimize legal risks
- Keep the company abreast of legal changes that affect the business or their industry
Manage performance, wellbeing, and engagement by creating a culture of achievement and satisfaction.
Mandatory Skills & Experience
- 10 years+ experience in Risk/ Compliance in financial services – specific experience of Fintech and the payments industry would be an advantage
- Strong general experience and expertise within risk management, and experience in digital-related risks (technology risk, ICS Risk, resilience)
- Knowledge of key regulatory and supervisory frameworks in markets the Company operates or plans to operate in
- Strong stakeholder management, communication and influencing skills
CurrencyFair and Assembly Payments and are equal opportunity employers committed to creating a diverse environment for its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without bias to education, race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.